Website Design © 2023
The Lakeside Chautauqua Community
Lakeside Women’s Club
Contact This Organization
The Lakeside Women’s Club (LWC) has been an integral and vital part of the Lakeside Chautauqua experience since 1928.
All are welcome to join the Lakeside Women’s club, regardless of gender, whether living in or visiting Lakeside. Annual membership dues are $20 and can be paid at Green Gables (161 Walnut Avenue). The mission of the Lakeside Women’s Club is to enhance the Lakeside experience for women through fellowship, outreach and education.
Programming & Additional Opportunities
The LWC hosts several book discussions, programs, book reviews and events throughout the summer. Read the weekly summer Lakesider newspaper for the most up-to-date information. All programs are held at Green Gables (161 Walnut Ave.), unless otherwise noted.
All Lakeside Chautauqua guests and residents are welcome to borrow books from the LWC Library at Green Gables or purchase pre-owned books at the Used Book Sale. The library is open Monday-Friday 1-3 p.m. during the summer. The LWC also has a thrift shop at Green Gables called ‘The Corner Cupboard.’ Purchases are made through the honor system. Free Wi-Fi is also available at Green Gables.
Reserve a Room
The Lakeside Women’s Club rents rooms to adult women in the historic Green Gables Cottage, built in 1883. Rooms with two twin beds are available for $80 per night and one room with a single bed is available for $60 per night. Call the hostess for reservations. For more information on booking, visit the Women’s Club website.
Hostess: Tayna Frost
Weekly Summer Schedule
- Breakfast Bunch Book Discussion at 8:30 a.m. and After Lunch Bunch Book Discussion at 1:30 p.m. (Alternating Mondays)
- “Women Reading through the Bible” Bible Study at 10 a.m.
- Mahjong 3-5 p.m.
- Porch Stories on select Monday evenings at 7:30 p.m.
- Lakeside Women’s Club Programs at 1:30 p.m.
- Bridge 9:30-11:30 a.m.
- Mahjong 1:30 -3:30 p.m.
- Mahjong 9:30-11 a.m.
- Bridge 1:30-3:30 p.m.
- Book Reviews at 1:30 p.m. at Green Gables
- Mahjong 3-5 p.m.
- July 27 – Tour of Cottages & Sheds
June 13 – Meeting 1
- 2023 Season Overview, Member Memorials & Ice Breaker led by M.A. Stephens
June 20 – Meeting 2
- Voices from the Ape House led by author, conservationist & former Columbus Zoo gorilla keeper Beth Armstrong
June 27 – Meeting 3
- Golden Retrievers in Need led by rescuer Lisa Kime
- No program due to the holiday
July 11 – Meeting 4
- Growing & Enjoying Herbs led by Mulberry Creek Herb Farm owner Karen Langan
July 18 – Meeting 5
- Team Building led by M.A. Stephens
July 25 – Meeting 6
- Trivia Team Competition & Janet Jennings Memorial Scholarship Awards
August 1 – Meeting 7
- Portrayal of Ohio First Lady Crete Garfield, wife of President James A. Garfield, led by Carol McKinney
August 8 – Meeting 8
- A History of the Federation of Women’s Clubs led by Gretchen Curtis
August 15 – Meeting 9
- Annual Luncheon & Sing Along with Jerry Popiel
August 22 – Meeting 10
- Walt Whitman & the Civil War led by Carol Zey
August 29 – Meeting 11
- Potluck & 2023 Season Photo Show & Installation of Officers
Friday Book Review
- June 23: 1910-1920, discussion leaders Rebecca Heikkinen & Claudia Haskins
- June 30: 1920-1930, discussion leaders Susan Eisenman & Jennifer Shrewsbury
- July 7: 1930-1940, discussion leaders Ginger O’Malley & Barbara Browning
- July 14: 1940-1950, discussion leaders Claudia Haskins & Lynne Woods
- July 21: 1950-1960, discussion leaders Linda & Bill Smith
- July 28: 1960-1970, discussion leaders Mary Beth Melville & Mary Arnett-Sparks
- Aug. 4: 1970-1980, discussion leaders Wendy Stuhldreher & Jan Hamilton
- Aug. 11: 1980-1990, discussion leaders Rebecca Shaw & Jeri Hoopes
- Aug. 18: 1990 -2000, discussion leaders Sally DePerro & Brad Hoopes
Monday Book Discussions for the 2023 Season
The After Lunch Book Discussion will meet every other Monday afternoon starting June 12 through August 28. Attendees are asked to have read the book in advance.
- June 12: The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles; Rachel Murphy, discussion leader – 1:30 p.m.
- June 26: Pachinko by Min Jin Lee; Ginny Metz, discussion leader – 1:30 p.m.
- July 10: Horse by Geraldine Brooks; Nancy Jacobs, discussion leader – 1:30 p.m.
- July 24: A Widow’s Story by Joyce Carol Cates; Rosemary Mazurek, discussion leader – 1:30 p.m.
- Aug. 7: The Forest of Vanishing Stars by Kristin Harmel; Judy Sudomir, discussion leader – 1:30 p.m.
- Aug. 21: Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng; Char Wilkerson, discussion leader – 1:30 p.m.
Monday Breakfast Bunch Book Discussions
Presented by the Lakeside Women’s Club, the Breakfast Bunch Book Discussion meets from 8:30-9:30 a.m. on select Mondays from June 19-Aug. 28 at Green Gables. Please read the book in advance of the discussion.
- June 19: Bewilderment: A Novel by Richard Powers
- July 17: Finding Chika: A Little Girl, an Earthquake, and the Making of a Family by Mitchell Albom
- July 31: Light in August by William Faulkner
- Aug. 14: The Brighter the Light by Mary Ellen Taylor
- Aug. 28: The Things We Cannot Say by Kelly Rimmer
Support Lakeside Chautauqua
Lakeside Chautauqua is a nonprofit organization that relies on the generosity of families, friends, volunteers and its dedicated staff. Our Chautauqua programming and upkeep of the facilities and grounds are made possible through the philanthropic support of generous Lakesiders like you.